There are moments that call for the simple pleasures of eating popcorn and beer. But this food pairing will likely be one of the last things on your mind when visiting a place where you savor authentic Italian cuisines. When in Italy, every meal, snack, or dessert and every bite in between is a delightful adventure and discovery in itself. And if Naples is part of your travel itinerary, here are some of the Neapolitan dishes you need to try.
1. Pizza. It seems like sacrilege to leave the birthplace of pizza without having a single bite of pizza Napoletana. Some of the best places for pizza are L’Antica Pizzeria Brandi, Di Matteo, Da Michele, Antica Pizzeria I Decumani, and 50 Kalò among others.
2. The classic Neapolitan pasta dishes like pasta e fagioli, spaghetti alle vongole, and more.
3. Parmigiana di Melenzane. The eggplant Parmigiano is a delicious dish preparing using ingredients made up primarily of eggplants, basil, mozzarella, Parmesan, and tomato sauce. Like pizzas, this dish is something that you can get in many places across the world. But nothing beats the traditional touch in cooking food prepared with home-grown ingredients.
4. Pastries and sweets like baba al rhum which is a dessert made with pastry soaked in rum or special syrup. It can also come with your choice of scrumptious fillings like ricotta cream and fruits among others.
5. And if you like dark chocolate, try the torta caprese which is a type of dense cake made without flour that often comes with chopped almonds. This tasty treat is often served with a topping of powdered sugar and other sweets like chocolates.